Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Pagan: Why I'm considered an Eclectic Pagan

The past few days, I've been thinking on the non-fiction book dealing with paganism I've been wanting to write. How my beliefs and my growing knowledge has led me to honouring not just part of my ethnic heritages but the idea of all being important to my spiritual and mental health. Most people learn one tradition, thinking that it's the end all be all of their beliefs. Whether it's druidism, Asatru, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, or any other religion, there are very few that teach that other beliefs are valid. (There are a few religions, and I applaud their ability to be open and to see the value inherent of others.) But my ethnic heritage is in direct opposition to that thought process. I'm a mutt and damn proud of it. Lithuanian, Dutch, French (okay ,this I like that it's Breton French), German, Polish, and Russian. Recently, we found out we may also have some Jewish heritage. It's a heritage that has had people who were conquered, beaten, yet clung to their beliefs and when called for, merged with others they loved and brought their beliefs into a new family. It's a collection of beliefs from paganism onwards to Christianity that's unique and more importantly-- important for me to savor and be proud of.

My male talks about how what his ancestors did have no bearing on how he is or what he believes. I smile and nod alot. He makes his own belief choice, but it's not without the influence of his ancestors. Don't believe me- ask him why it's important to have a Traditional Thanksgiving. *rolls eyes* Tradition and family beliefs count for a lot, even for those who say they don't let the past dictate who and what they believe in.

For me, it's not a matter that I'm wanting to believe what my ancestors did. It's learning what they believed in, discovering what is important for me to incorporate into my daily life, and further, to make sure that belief system is never forgotten. I joke around about the story called the Repository, but among my closest friends and among those who know how I am-- I am the Repository for belief systems. I've made a study of them for years and years. I've collected how many people worshipped, how the religion is being reconstructed in the places where knowledge is lacking and more. For me, our past is just as important as our future. Without one, you will never succeed in the other.

Being eclectic doesn't mean picking and choosing only the cool stuff, it means that sometimes the hard stuff- the stuff I'd rather avoid is also included in my beliefs and what I do. Why? Because it's not just the easy, fun things that make me who I am, but also the hard things. Most of my family left their homes in Germany, Poland, France, Holland to come to America. They left in a time when national pride was part and parcel of being their nationalities. Yet, they left seeking something better in a new nation that would give them the chance of freedom of beliefs. So, for me, it's taking the history, the beliefs of my ancestors and the beliefs of the peoples who were there long before and integrating what not just feels right, but what will benefit me and those whom I serve.

Take a look at your own family history. What is your ethnicity? How far back can you trace your family tree? If your family has been established there for a while, think on this- what was the area before it was forcibly Christianized? What family traditions do you enjoy that are based in those oldest of beliefs? What else among what you do honours those traditions and the path you lead now?

Being eclectic isn't a bad thing. It's a place where you can enjoy your past, your present and your future. It's a place that accepts that our world is smaller now than it's ever been, allowing us not only to accept the good and the bad, but to bring into play our global family, who shares many similar beliefs as well. (continue reading &aquo;)

No comments: