Friday, October 24, 2008

Flash Fiction- Rousing Shakespeare

I'm a fan of Shakespeare. I have been since I was a young kid and saw Romeo and Juliet. There's something about Iambic Pentameter mixed with all the plot points that make you see yourself in a story. Shakespeare was a genius and one of my favourite scenes is that of the three witches in MacBeth, though I admit-- I have a different idea on how it could've gone. That said-- today's flash is something that hit my mind. It's a shit-and-giggles scene, so nobody get any ideas!!!

Sirrah stirred the boiling contents in the large stock pot. She laughed a bit then said, "I feel like a MacBeth witch stirring this."

Sirrah's cousin, Moyra laughed while hugging her. "Well we are witches, and that is a potion, so..."

"You're a witch doing MacBeth," answered a third woman, Sirrah's younger sister, Ariana. "Personally, I never quite understood how the hell stirring those nasty things together make a spell work."

The girls shared a look and started laughing. They and their fourth, the currently not home, Joica, had grown up learning magick at their gram's knee. Through the years, they had learned exactly how to wield magick and more importantly, the reason behind ritual and creating spell components. Yet for all that, Sirrah understood exactly how Ariana felt. Sometimes it felt a bit old-fashioned to make the occasional noxious potion to use in a spell, but until they found a better way, the old way was the only way.

Sirrah sighed again as she thought about her last date with Darien. She did like the guy, but there was something off between them. They were attraced to each other, but it was like she was lacking in some way because his response to her sexual overtures were always...lacking. Coming out of her thoughts, she saw the front door open and Joica enter. "Hi Joi! How goes it?"

"Um, Sirrah, you need to see something," Joica said, her face showing signs of anger. Sirrah turned down the heat under the pot and stepped to her sister.

"What's up?"

"You know that Ari, Moyra and I love you and we've kept our concerns about Darien to ourselves. Well, we did until Moyra had a vision three days ago." Joi looked at Sirrah as she glanced towards Moyra.

"You had a vision and didn't tell me? What was in it?" Sirrah stepped towards Moyra. "What happened?"

"I saw something that upset me because it had the mark of the goddess on it, branding it as happening, not as something to come. I told the others because I wanted proof before I spoke to you." Moyra gestured to the small camera in Joi's hands. "We have proof now to show you."

Sirrah's body tensed as Joi started the camcorder. As she saw Darien with another, thinner, dark skinned woman, she realized what more she lacked. Her throat tightened in anger and in humiliation. When it was done, she looked at her family, the only people who knew how hard it was for her to open up to anyone.

"You were right to wait and show me evidence. He's due here in an hour. Explain to him I don't want to see him and show him the video. It's over." Sirrah handed the wooden spoon to Ari. "Watch the potion. It'll be done in twenty minutes. I need to go out for a while."

Sirrah grabbed her keys, wallet, and helmet. It was time to ride. To get rid of the pain of being rejected once again. She knew her family would be waiting for her. They'd want to make her feel loved and wanted, but they couldn't give her what she needed-- to be loved and desired sexually by someone with a cock. She climbed on her motorcycle and raced down the street.

She needed time....she needed a break. Gods above and below, she wanted to be loved but time and again it never worked out. Perhaps Shakespeare was right-- the world was a stage and the people are just actors in a story. Maybe I'm just comic relief for the males in the world. (continue reading &aquo;)

No comments: