Friday, April 04, 2008

Friday Flash-- Balance Blinded and Justice Revealed

Okay... this is something I've had in the works for a while, but hadn't found the time to really dive into. I know that SOME OF YOU were hoping for the next Open Up and Say Aah stuff, but you're going to have to wait a bit. LMAO But this story-- has potential, though this rough draft needs much more work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
She placed her hands down on the table, staring at the long nail tips. These hands could make or break someone, she thought sadly. These hands have broken many people in the name of balance. At what price does maintaining balance become vigilante justice? When does the hero become one of the bad guys?

Kiera Petra heard someone enter the study but refused to look up. "Yes?"

"Kiera, it's happened again. You're needed," the man said, walking up to her. He placed his hand on her shoulder. "I know this takes so much out of you, but what other choice is there?"

Turning to look out the bay window, Kiera sighed heavily. "There is never a choice, is there? How much longer can I give? What happens when I reach the point of no return? Then what, Trevor?"

Trevor shrugged letting his hand fall as Kiera walked away from him. "I don't know, Kiera. I wish I could say your time was done and it's time for someone else to be the 'Balance'. But, you've yet to have found your balance."

Kiera whipped around. "Don't you think I know that? Every day, as I continue in this life, I have to fear my lack of personal balance. I strive for balance every day. I keep to the tenets every day and every moment. But I must do what I must."

Her long legs carried her to the door. Glancing over her shoulder, her dark, feral eyes glanced at her brother. "Coming? Or are you just going to stand there while another aspect of balance is destroyed?"

She slammed out of the room, her energy still lingering behind. The last thing she heard was a low chuckle from her brother that sounded slightly....evil.

Her boots clicked across the parquet floor from the study towards the den. She knew that her heart was racing. Whatever that was coming was something that only she could handle. She was tired of being the “Balance”, of being the only one who could make the Chaosians and the Lawfuls both behave. The other Scalans wielded power, but she was the chosen one. Happy, happy, joy, joy.

Not even her brother realized the problems she faced lately. The urge to say, “Fuck it!” and allow chaos to overwhelm order for a while was so tempting. Being so alone was costing her more than she could say. But whom could she share the aloneness with? Who could handle the pain that she dealt with daily? No one. That is why the Balance was always alone.

Glaring at the sliding doors, Kiera used her telekinetic ability to open them. She saw the others gathered in the room and sighed heavily. They all turned and faced her.

"Oh look, it's the home crew," she remarked snidely. "What brings you all out to Avesbury?"

The others smiled knowingly at Kiera. Without them saying a word, she knew exactly why they were there. Making a mental memo to beat her brother unmercifully for his interference, she let out a sigh. "Let me guess, Trevor decided I was on edge and hiding away from the rest of you for too long, right?"

A man who looked like the original inspiration for Dracula came to her side. "Listen, Trevor is concerned. You've been pushing yourself without a break. None of us can be completely alone; you above all else know that."

Kiera closed her eyes briefly, trying to keep control of her spiraling emotions. She opened them to find Mikhail staring at her. "Misha, listen, I'm fine. Tired, working too hard, but I'm fine."

A snort filled the room, the power almost tangible. "You walk the edge, sister-friend. Don't think we can't see it. You're the Balance and yet you walk the chasm between order and chaos with little regard if you would fall in either direction."

Mikhail glanced at the woman. "Nefertari, come now. We're here to help Kiera, not to condemn her. She is the fulcrum of power."

"Yes and still she doesn't use all that she has."

Kiera resisted the urge to grip the Egyptian queen's neck and squeeze it until it snapped. The thought of using violence had been growing; somehow, she was feeling like she was losing control of who she was after all. However, Nefertari was correct; Kiera only used a small portion of what was available to her. "If I wanted to be the Big Bad, I could be. However, I'm not, Tari. We both know that abusing my powers is something that could lead to further breakdown in balance between order and chaos."

Another man chimed in. "If we allow her to go unchecked and use all that she can tap, then what damage can she wrought?"

"Wise words from a wise man, Sean," Mikhail responded. "Kiera, we're here because you've been working without the other members here. Your personal balance is almost gone."

Kiera's eyes blazed. "And what shall be done about that? We all know the damn prophecy! We all know that the time has passed for it to be. I do, as I must! Do not remind me again that I'm a failure in a personal way. I live with that daily."

Mikhail's arms wrapped around her, pulling her against his warm body in order to offer her comfort she never sought. "Shh, it's okay, Kiera. We're worried about you. You've taken the world upon your shoulders as Atlas. You're not the only one whose responsibility it is to keep chaos from overriding order. We're worried for you. You've been alone for so long, caring for so much."

Nefertari placed her hand on Kiera's back. "Listen to me, Kiera. You must find your balance. Go find it; we'll take care of this new problem."

"What if..." she started to say when the others shook their heads.

No comments: