Monday, March 03, 2008

Monday Madness

I don't always have a Friday to participate in Flashing Friday like Maura or Dawn, two fellow LAW members. But I've made a decision-- on Fridays I shall try to flash and on Mondays I'll go mad. I've got tons of scenes I've never incorporated into books or have been waiting for all the information to come about to write certain stories. So in order to inaugurate this-- I figure perhaps a glimpse into a character hinted at in my book, Call of the Wylde.

Kymaera (pronounced Kai-mare-a) is one of my favourite characters. There is so much I've not been able to explain about vampires, much less about the vampire world in Call of the Wylde that I've been toying with doing Kymaera's story. Thing is-- her story will push boundaries both emotionally and sexually. She's not timid, she's not weak, but more importantly-- she's a born vampyr. That makes what she does in her story all the more powerful-- if I ever get to writing her story. Currently, her story is with Pyotr--someone from her past and someone whom she finds great need to conquer and be conquered by. Yet, not even he can figure her out. She's not the usual female he knows. In fact, I start the story in his POV, just because the impact of her actions just blows everything set in Call of the Wylde up. *grins* So without further ado-- this Monday's Madness is from "Edge of Forbidden"


“Scream for me, sirrah.”

Pyotr Sassylich gazed around, his senses zooming in on the small grouping of people outside of Tavro’s nightclub. Moving swifter than a jaguar which he had once raced by the whim of his maker, he made his way towards the tiny group of men and women that surrounded the fallen human female.The main vampyr was someone whom he didn't want to deal with-- Jan Mueller. There was no love lost between them, but always a wary respect. Maybe, just maybe he could reason with Jan.

“No one is screaming tonight, Jan.” Pyotr growled slightly, giving just enough warning of his rising anger. His tone was enough to scatter the other, younger vampyrs, though Jan never flinched. In truth, neither did the human woman. “You know better than this, Jan. One does not frighten those not in the path.” Pyotr placed a hand on Jan's right upper arm.

“No, you refuse to acknowledge the truth, comrade.” Jan turned his amber eyes upon Pyotr, letting Pyotr see anger deep within. “This isn’t an ordinary-“

His comment ended as the human lashed out, forcing Jan down on the ground where she quickly hit him in the two vulnerable parts in the head region. This was no simple human indeed. His own radar sounded alarm as he stepped forward. Then the woman spoke and Pyotr couldn't believe his ears. This woman smelled human, yet that voice was one he knew for over many centuries.

She stood up and brushed off her pants while glaring at him. “Pyo, I didn’t need your help. I wanted to know just how far Jan would go. He verges on being Rogue, and that is unacceptable.”

Finally, Pyotr found his voice. “Kymaera? But how? You smell human!" He hesitated, knowing that there was only one way for vampyr to become human--and those born were forbidden from that route.Inhaling deeply, Pyotr's senses confirmed once again that the silver-haired woman before him was indeed mortal, though she bore the mark of one who could become human. "How is this possible?"

Her green eyes twinkled as she grinned at his discomfort. Wait a minute, Kymaera didn't have green eyes, but the deep silver gray of all those who were born and of adult age. He stepped forward, his hand reaching out for her. "Again, I ask--how is this possible, Kymaera? You reek of humanity."

“Seeker. I am Seeker now, Pyotr Sassylich.”

“Fuck that, Kymaera. You were once head of the House…”

“Of the Sekhmet line. I know. No longer though, Pyo. I’m now Head Seeker for the High Council and you’ve ruined a perfectly good lead. I should bleed you or punish you for this, but I’m not into becoming splatter art for you.” Her voice was low and melodious. Somehow, this woman still affected him as a curl of lust deepened within him. She alone had the ability to touch that part of himself that knew deep sexual fulfillment that he had turned away from when he finally accepted his place among the vampyr.

Suddenly, part of him seethed at knowing the woman who had turned him was now human, something he could never be again. Yet, how did this ancient vampyr become human again? The risk at taking the Elixir d’Morte was too high for someone of her lineage. The Council forbade the ancients from even trying due to the risk of insanity or worse.

“Why?” It was all he could ask. It was only one question of many that had been asked before. Yet, it was probably the only one he might receive an answer.

Kymaera looked away, her eyes scanning the darkness before them, her arm resting lightly on his black leather coat. “Because it was necessary. The need was too great to not take the risk. There have been murders, Pyotr. A Helspawn and a Seeker have gone rogue together while on a mission. The Council thinks that they might’ve stolen a vial of the Elixir and have gone insane with blood lust.”

“No Seeker is a vampyr.”

“Not true. Most are marked humans, but in this case, this was a newly turned Seeker. Now people are dying and I’ve been sent to find them and stop them. Jan knows of the killings and I was trying to find out information from him.”

“Jan is an ass pure and simple.”

“I am not involved, fraulein.” The vampyr in question sat up, rubbing the back of his head while noticing the three of them were completely alone in the parking lot. “Had you spoken your identity, I’d have complied. I’m not Rogue.” Pulling himself up to standing, he looked at the short woman to the taller vampyr. “You made Pyotr, didn’t you? That is why he didn't sense the difference in you as being new human versus vampyr.”

Kymaera nodded, sliding one dagger out so both vampyrs saw it at the ready. Pyotr noted that the dagger was one granted to Seekers--the one that meant death to any vampyr that broke the laws of their people. “That has nothing to do with the two rogues. Speak what you know Herr Mueller and perhaps I’ll not bleed you as is my right as a wronged Seeker.”

“Kymaera, Kymaera," Jan said softly, as if trying to recall her. Pyotr saw the glimmer in the man's gaze when the knowledge finally hit the right synapse. Perhaps he should take out Jan before anything else happened to Kymaera. "Ah ha! You’re Kymaera Vilnius, head of Sekhmet, and an old vampyr with many abilities and connections in both our world and the mortal realm. Though I’m of house Loki, I do obey even former heads of Lines. Why have you come back?” Jan bowed slightly at the waist, revealing the back of his neck in the proper subservient manner.

“I’m Rakyr now and I make no bones of it, Jan. It was needed and I can take my place once again after this job is finished, if I desire it.”

Pyotr took in the words and shuddered inwardly at the woman’s harsh tones. This was no longer the woman who seduced him with melodic words and the erotic dance of hers. She sighed and Pyotr knew she had seen his shudder. She spoke softly in the language of the House Sekhmet, one that Jan didn't know as he was from House Loki.

“No, she’s gone for now, Steppes warrior. Remember you turned because you asked, not because I took. I was Seeker or Seir ages ago and I am again. My future is my own, but our people are at risk, especially the High Council.” Her gaze landed on Jan. “Tell me what you know about the Helspawn named Imar and his new mate, the ex-Seeker, Penelope Stanworth.”

No comments: