Monday, February 02, 2009

Pagan- Altar Making

(My Original Blog Post: -*http://www.cynnara.com/home/2009/02/02/pagan-altar-making/)
Altars are not just for human or animal sacrifice. In fact, an altar is for communing in a spiritual manner to the universe and those whom we believe in. Some people have shrines, go to church, etc. Having an altar is a way of bringing the divine home and opening you up to your spirituality.

So, what belongs on an altar? What doesn't belong? How big does it have to be? What if you can't publicly proclaim your beliefs, but want something to use when it's time? There is no one right way to create an altar. There are some basic guidelines, but then the rest can be guided by your needs and desires. 

The size of the altar doesn't matter. What does matter is that you use it regularly and that you allow yourself to spend a couple of minutes each day at the altar to not only acknowledge your spirituality, but to also recenter yourself as well. 

What are some of the basics that should be on your altar? 

Most altars have a drop cloth that reflects the season or holiday. You can buy fabric and make your own or convert tablecloths and place mats depending on the space of your altar. In my bedroom, I have a small telephone/nightstand that's been converted to my altar. On the top of it, I've put a blue lace and satin table runner. I normally use the blue one as my daily cover cloth. Then on holidays like Imbolc, Ostara, Litha, Yule, Samhain, and others- I have special cloths to recognize the holidays and seasons. 

The next item should be candles. I normally have one large white one that represents the Elements. (I've anointed and inscribed the Elemental symbols on the candle.) This is for when I call upon the Elements to guide and protect. Then I have a second candle to represent the gods and goddesses whom I serve. This candle is smaller than the Element one and I rotate the colours to match the gods who rule that season/holiday. 

The next item is my athame. Why? Because it's not just a knife. It's an extension of the will of intent. It reminds me that just as a knife is useful, it's also dangerous. Thus is the perils of neglecting my spirituality. I have an Egyptian styled criss athame, so it's beautiful while on the altar as well. 

My wand is also on the altar. I use it when I work magick and since I use my altar when I do so-- there it stays. It reminds me of the responsibility I take in working magick. The wand reminds me that just as we grow, we do change and become closer to our true essences. 

During times where there is no major holiday or the changing of the seasons (like the equinoxes and the solstices), I normally have my divination pendant and my daily Tarot or rune out. This is picked each morning, giving me time to reflect on its meaning and what it might help me do for the day. It's akin to having a Bible verse to start the day, but in this case, it allows me to mentally tune into the desires of the universe along with my personal needs. 

When it is holiday time- I normally decorate with silk flowers and other life-like items. It could be a small basket of fruit to celebrate summer or even a cornucopia to celebrate the harvest season of Mabon. Normally, I even put these things together myself, which allows me to think and imbue those items with magickal intent and power leading up to the holiday. You can find small projects like this at various home and garden websites

You're probably wondering what I store my non-used items in when I've changed the altar for a new month. I have two large plastic tubs. The smaller one holds all the fabric cloths. The other holds what I've made and what I've bought in labeled containers. This allows me to easily pull the right holiday without wondering what box it's in. I keep it all in my walk-in closet on the top shelf for out of the way ease. 

What if you can't have a huge altar? Then you can make a mini altar. Take something small, like an Altoid© tin or something around that size and make sure it's thoroughly cleaned and dried. Using the principle of the Elements, include one item that represents them. I have a small birthday candle with holder to represent fire. Then there's the purple feather for Air. Earth is a small jar with sand in it. Water is represented by small foldable cup that can be filled with the element when doing magickal work.

I make sure all the items fit inside the small tin. With a bit of skill, I often include some cone incense and it's holder to represent the gods and the Elements. Then I slide the entire box into a drawstring bag that opens flat to form the cloth when needed. 

Altars can be as elaborate as you want or as simple as they need to be. They should reflect your needs, your goals and your beliefs. Changing the altar regularly- monthly or bi-monthly, opens you up to the changes in the world and the magick placed before your path.

1 comment:

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

I leave alter building to God.
So should you... in your heart.
Dont worship the things of earth.
They're idols; worship only Jesus.
God bless you.