Friday, January 30, 2009

SexEd with Mistress Cynnara- Medical Issues

(My Original Blog Post: -*http://www.cynnara.com/home/?p=332)
Today's topic is not a fun one. In fact, it's one of those topics we do not want to spend time on, when we could be having fantastic sex. Yet, at one time or another, everyone gets sick. Sometimes, what happens is that something develops, and it changes everything in how we enjoy or can play in sex. Yes, this topic relates a bit to my other one, but it's also very personal right now.

See, I've been told that I've got some cysts and an abnormal sized uterus. The C-word was mentioned, but it's a small percent chance. Now, I admit, I'm nervous over the word "cancer" being bandied in conjunction with my body, but more importantly, the thought that hit my mind was- how soon after the hysterectomy (which is what I'm thinking will happen), can I play again sexually. What do I have to do to be careful the first time? 

Once those questions hit me, I realized that a talk on medical issues was needed. See, we as a society still don't talk enough about sexual health to our partners, or those we might not want as partners. You might occasionally get "I'm clean, how about you?" but beyond that, it doesn't seem to be a big thing among the sexually active. 

That needs to change, and it needs to be started with YOU. You need to let your partner know if you're having problems or if certain sexual manuevers hurt now that didn't before. You need to discuss your physical health- if you have immunity issues (I do), or if you have a bad back (my male does). These are health issues that involve your partner because it makes them more aware of how you can adapt positions, techniques and more to accomodate both people. 

The other thing is this- you need to see your primary care doctor at least once a year. Why? You need to have a baseline of what is good health, what you need to improve upon and more importantly, to get anything that's been bothering you helped. I know that doctor visits cost money, but hospital visits are more. Do you really think you're doing anything good by denying yourself a visit to the doctor? You're only ignoring problems that might need to be taken care of sooner rather than later. 

Sometimes, medical problems do interfere with sexual activities and can even stifle your sexual desires. These are things you can discuss with both the doctor and your partner. In fact, in my case, I have done this. I don't mind not being sexually pleased while I'm stressed as long as I can have the fun of pleasing my partner. He knows that. He also knows what I need to get sexually worked up. This is when you realize that foreplay is no longer an option, but a necessity. You might also need to indulge in buying sexual supplies to help augment things- just as lubrication. 

Sexual health and physical health need to be maintained in order to be a healthy person. Don't forsake it because it's embarrassing or wait because it might get better on its own. If you are worried about it for more than a week-- it's time to get to the doctor. 

Always, 

Mistress Cynnara

No comments: