Friday, June 23, 2006

Rant-- 411 Directory Assistance

I know many of you are rubbing your hands in glee at the title-- but trust me-- I'm not going to be bitching about the operators. I am one. But I am going to bitch about people who call and act as if they know everything. I've come to the conclusion that people are getting ruder and dumber each day. *sigh*


1. Directory Assistance provides many things-- phone numbers, addresses, movie listings/showtimes, and sometimes, depending on the service-- driving directions. We do not answer who is the author of a song, nor do we know which is the highest mountain or the sports scores. There are other places for that.

2. How stupid are you to not get your driving directions BEFORE you leave the house? Seriously. Getting phone calls from people who have no clue where a place is and waiting until they're on the road to get directions reminds me of an episode of Jaywalk-- and I can't just turn the channel. I can see if you go wrong or if there are detours calling, but otherwise-- do your homework before leaving the house. And if you KNOW that you're less than a mile away but not sure if you turn left or right...do not call. You're wasting money because you're too lazy to try both ways.

3. If the cellphone is your only phone-- WHY? You do realize you have reception problems when you travel and move and you can't always get the call you're waiting for--and you don't get a phone book. Don't blame me or your service for dropped calls because YOU can't stay still and make one simple phone call.

4. How many of you are breaking state laws by driving and using the cell phone? 'Nuff said on that point.

5. I'm not stupid, nor am I the one with hearing problems. You're the one outside with interference-- I'm in a room with other operators a good distance away from me so our voices don't overlap too much. So if I don't hear you-- you've got background noise. Fix it. Find a quiet place. If you're upset because I can't hear your request and you're in the middle of a dance club-- I'm not at fault. Think on that for a moment.

6. Why does the automated system not work? Well-- if you actually FOLLOWED the directions and spoke clearly-- it just might. But when you actually say the words, "City and State" instead of saying the city and state you're wanting the number in...do I really need to explain why it doesn't work?

7. Voice activated system. This means that it works on hearing you or anyone behind you speak. So if you're having the number read to you and you're speaking to your SO giving them the phone number--- you're putting the voice activated system into motion. Think on that before you whinge to me that you didn't get the number read to you. It's not the computer's fault. And as for playing the radio loud while having the number read to you--- *shakes head* You get the picture.

8. If I'm ever as rude to you as you are to me-- you'd ask for my supervisor and report me. Do me a favour-- be nice and I'll be nice back, even more so than usual because it's VERY RARE to have an hour where I've not dealt with a rude, crude, socially unacceptable idiot who demands things and has the nerve to call me names. You get two warnings then I hang up on you. That's it. Get over yourself.

9. I can only give you what you give me. If you don't know how to spell the name of the business or your best friend (and not knowing their last name-- and they're best friends-- that's just stupid on your part), then how the hell do you expect me to find the damn listing? You are responsible as a customer to know SOMETHING. I'm not a mind-reader, nor am I the spellchecker for your universe. You want the right number-- learn to spell it and use the legal name of the business not just the name that "everyone calls it by that."

10. Not all listings are listed. That is the BUSINESS and the PERSON'S prerogative. Why? Because sometimes the businesses don't want you to call- they want you to come down. Othertimes they don't want to pay to be listed. Same with people--- some people don't want the general public to find them. If you're really a friend-- you'd have the number already. Deal with it.

11. Directory Assistance does NOT owe you a credit if the company doesn't pick up the phone or if it's busy. You are not the only person in the universe-- get over yourself. The phones were busy before you had a cell phone, they're still going to be busy even now that you do. And sometimes the people running the store are helping customers who are IN the store...they don't have to drop everything to run to take care of you.

12. Do not call if you're standing right outside of the store. I can't tell you how many times I've had to deal with people who do that. You want something inside the store and you're there-- get off your ass and go inside. If you're that close, go in. Why call and pay good money that you bitch about having to spend? (And yes-- for those of you who think this can't be real-- about 2% of my calls are like this.)

13. If you're calling for the police or something else-- I do NOT want to hear about it. I just want to know-- emergency or non-emergency. Why? Because if you had to wait for me to pick up your call while listening to someone else tell me why they're calling....and you bitch--- then don't be guilty of the same thing. Just a thought.


Now that I've finally ranted on this-- I'm feeling better. Until people bitch about my bitching about this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I was just doing random searches because I had a particularly bad night at work (yep, you guessed it 411 operator) and I found this site. Didn't really look at the rest of the site, but just reading this blog I wanted to say you just spoke my mind completely. I can't stand getting those calls where people can't spell their "friends" name then use the excuse "that's what i called you for". Excuse me? You called me so I could take random stabs in the dark about how your friend spells his name? Oh and btw people calling us for celebrities, do you really think they would list their number? Even if they did, do you really think they would list it under their stage name? Stop calling me for Hannah Montana, it's not even her name! /rant off

Cynnara Tregarth said...

LMAO! At last, someone else who understands me. It's not easy when you're trying to help 12000-20000 people a month find listings to have to slow down because they don't speak precisely, they ask for famous people, or they have no clue on spelling. *sigh*

We won't even get into my issues with the database! ARGH!

Hopefully your night has faded away and you're having a good one.