Friday, June 02, 2006

Driven by Romance or Plot with Romantic Elements

I was reviewing my workshop that I give on finding your niche as a writer and I'm sitting here asking myself-- do I really fit into the romance category as it stands-- the romance driving the plot? Let me explain-- in romance novels, it's the romance that drives the plotline and everything else happens in relation to the romance occurring. Which means that the heroine and the hero meet and as they struggle with the attraction-turning-into-love thing, everything else revolves and hinges on that main plotline. Even in romantic suspense-- as the mystery/suspense builds, it directs the romance as well. An editor once said that in a romance, the romance had to be 60-75% of the story-- how it develops, grows, the problems, and the solving. Everything else goes in to support the growth arc of the romance. I'm one of those writers who fit into the category of women's fiction with strong romantic elements.

My plot drives the story, which develops the romance. The romance is the byproduct of the events facing the two main characters. That means that my plot is split 50/50 or 60/40 in favour of the plot guiding things. The romance is there, present, accounted for and does have its place within the storyline-- but it's not the driving force that propels the story forward. Which brings me to a thought--does the fact that I write mainstream with strong romantic elements work against me in submitting to romance publishers? Or is it in making sure the romance has enough "screen time" that allows my work to still be considered romance? Or does the length-- category versus single title-- make a difference on how the romantic elements are perceived within the story?

In rereading my original article, it's brought this conundrum to the forefront of my thinking. My stories range from Blaze hot to blistering erotica romance in the sensual heat department, but in all, the plotline leads the way for the romance, not the other way around.Admission time--I prefer books that are plot driven romances over the romance driven stories. I think that's why I write that way-- it's the type of book I'm drawn to. The reason is simple-- reality. I have trouble accepting a story that revolves around a romance with other things interfering in the process. But give me a story that has all this stuff occuring and in the process the characters fall in love-- I grab for it because that's how life is and I love seeing people prevail over everything and to be graced with love as well at the end. Will I try to write more romance-oriented story, because it'll be considered more of a romance? Probably not. My strengths aren't in a romance driven story and it'd be instantly apparent. That's not to say I can't make my stories have more romantic moments-- because that I can do.

It does mean that if I can find a time to make those intimate touchpoints Linda Howard has written about while things are happening, I'll deepen the romantic perspective within the story. Plot-driven stories are my specialty-- even if there are menages, witches, druids, or even swords involved. The romance comes as a natural progression, but I can see I need to work on it being a bit more obvious and a deeper connection for romance readers. Amazing what rereading a workshop/article can do for a writer. I stand proudly before you and say...."My stories are driven by plot with romance as the natural conclusion." Hopefully, it might appeal to the right publishers as well.

No comments: