Friday, September 22, 2006

Pushing Boundaries in Writing and Personally

Recently with all the weird and unusual things happening in my life, I managed to sit down and do something I've never really done before--I read a couple of my old books and compared them to my writing now. I'm surprised in how far I've come--and where I've changed when I said I wouldn't ever do that. LOLOL There are some things I don't do anymore that I need to reincorporate when I write that I stopped doing for who knows why.

While doing this growth check, I also looked to see how I've personally pushed boundaries in my writing. I don't mean just in the types of stories I tell, but also in pushing boundaries in emotions, character growth, sex scenes, and worldbuilding. One thing I've noticed is that I'm neither shy about writing about emotional growth of characters nor do I shy from tackling various sex plays or lifestyles.

Pushing boundaries is part of growth as a writer. You try new things--perhaps a change from 3rd person POV to 1st person--or perhaps going to Deep 3rd instead of just regular 3rd. Perhaps you might try something with paranormal elements or more suspense included in the plotline. Sometimes we lock ourselves into this set pattern of what we write and think we can't or shouldn't stray from that path. For me--I'm eclectic in what I read-- from romance, erotica, sci fi, fantasy, mystery, manga, non-fic, history, etc. Reflecting my interests often mean that I include elements of what I read. For example-- most people might classify Mark of the Blood as paranormal erotic romance. I classify it a bit differently-- main stream paranormal erotic action/adventure with strong thriller and romantic elements. Yes there is a HEA (happily ever after) but there is so much more to the book than just the romance--though for many that's the main reason they enjoy it. (I do like a good romance that's not like everyone else's.)

I want to touch on sexual boundaries. This is a touchy subject, but one I'm determined to touch upon. People who read my books often ask about the sex scenes in them. They want to know if I've acted out those specific scenes or have done what's in them. I often laugh at this because these people never ask me if I've killed people like my characters have done in defense or if I've ever met a vampire, etc. Often I answer the question by saying something like, "The scenes are the product of my imagination, though I can guarantee you that every scene can be accomplished in person as long as you're in decent shape." Let them figure out if I've actually done it or heard about it from a friend. My readers know I'm very open when it comes to discussing sex, sensuality, and love.

In a couple of my stories, there are menage relationships involved. For me to write about polyamory and menage sex was pushing a limit. Not due to whether or not I've been in anything similar sexually or relationship-wise, but because of bringing alive the emotional relationships for all the characters involved. There are some stories that lightly touch upon bondage, dominant/submissive relationships, and other types of "kinky" sex play and lifestyles. Again, it isn't the issue of my having done them or not, but whether or not I can bring to life those aspects in proportion to the relationship of the characters. When I push those boundaries, do I bring it to life for the reader and explain it so they understand it's perfectly acceptable so long as all parties are consensual and enjoy the kink in question?

I had been hesitant to push those boundaries as my readers expected hot, erotic, not deeply kinky sex from my stories. Though there were some scenes that touched some boundaries, it wasn't until I wrote Games Empaths Play that I crossed a lot of boundaries. I knew some of my readers might be a bit hesitant to read something that dealt with a menage a trois, especially since two of the participants were brothers...but the story deserved to be told, and it opened many people not only to what menage is, but that there are many varieties and subtle differences involved--depending on the people and their needs. For me, that story was a milestone--writing about something I believe is not only possible, but feasible for people who are wired for it-- polyamory.

In the sequel I have planned to GEP, I'll be touching once again upon menage/polyamory, but also on other sexual boundaries. I'm not doing it to be noticed in the erotic romance market, but because the second story deals deeper within the workings of the pt'vsha, sex slave, community. In some ways this loosely connected series always me to not only grow and expand my writing, but gives me a place where I can present the beauty and wonderfulness inherent in other types of sex play and lifestyles.

When there's time, I'll be pushing other boundaries--finishing my fantasy novel, working on my Arthurian series-- Avalon Returns, and exploring the balance between good/evil, law/chaos, and more. Each book teaches me something new, and I spend a lot of time doing research, talking to people and experiencing, if possible, the things I write about. Not only does it help with my writing--it helps me as a person too. Never regret anything that helps you grow, even if there are prices paid that hurt. Life is learning and growing--and no one ever said it was a painless experience.

The biggest thing I notice with my boundary pushing is that my readers give me the chance to do so--tell me what works, what doesn't work and why. While I might not agree 100% of the time with all they say, I do keep it in mind as I write. They do influence me on some level, but at the same time--I make sure I stay true to the story's heart. As I push the boundaries and grow as a writer, my readers also learn more too. A friend of mine once said that boundaries are just things you've not tried--they're neither good nor bad until you experience them and decide for yourself. I've always agreed with that theory, so exploring and pushing those boundaries have always been part of my life, including the writing career. If you've never tested a boundary you have, take a chance-- you might find that it's not as bad as you think or you might find that it's there for a damn good reason.

No comments: